Skip to main content

David Mead

Random Known and OwnYourGram issues still abound with my #indieweb setup

2 min read

I'm still having issues syndicating photo I post on Instagram, to my website. It's very weird and random.

The setup (simply) is this - A service called OwnYourGram "watches" my Instagram  account. When I post a photo there it takes it and creates a post on my website with a link back to the Instagram post.

A service called Brid.gy takes any comments/likes/etc. on that Instagram post and adds them to the post on my website. This can happen as my site has the link back to Instagram with a class of u-syndication on it.

This way I keep, not only a copy of my content but, a copy of any interactions with it.

In the Indieweb we call this PESOS.

The problem

When I first set up this Known blog it worked fine, and imported the last few entries from Instagram. After updating Known the OwnYourGram service returned errors posting to my site.

Once in a while I can log in to OwnYourGram and get a stuck photo to resend without an error.

Yesterday I posted a photo to Instagram and the whole process worked as it should! Going in to try and get the other "trapped" photos out, I got errors again.

OwnYourGram interface showing a photo went through and one erroring

Nothing had changed with my site or any of the services as far as I know.

I live in hope that an update to the core of Known may fix this. It doesn't seem to be an issue on the OwnYourGram side of things as the error is a result of something my site is doing.

But after a couple of conversations at the recent RustbeltRefresh, I may be changing things.

David Mead

Last ditch for my #Nexus7

Last ditch for my #Nexus7

So I'm playing whack-a-mole with notifications stating process com.google.process.gapps has stopped and Unfortunately, Google Play Services Has Stopped. All seem to be stopping me get past the connection check screen.

Not great.

I've booted into 'Recovery mode' and wiped the cache partition, but to no avail.

I've one more suggestion from the Nexus help forum (thanks Penelope), but it looks like my 2013 Nexus7 is going to be laid to rest.

David Mead

Setting up a blog, using Known, part 3

4 min read

Time to get a WordPress instance back up and running. Piece of cake as I backed up and exported everything, right? That way links don’t stay broken and I can just start using the Known blog (on the root) going forward.

Day Three

Even though I had removed everything of my existing WP install by FTPing into the server, using Coda, I went in through the Media Temple control panel and removed the WP install there too.

While in the 1-click-apps screen I then added a new version of Wordpress in /blog.

That set up just fine. In my browser I went to http://davidjohnmead.com/blog - Lo and behold a brand new WP site. Created a user and went about importing the WP created .XML export file…and waited.

The WordPress Export

I’ve been blogging for a while now, and have imported various other blogs into this one; Blogger, Tumblr, Known, and older WP blogs since 2005. When it finished I was presented by a HUGE page informing me of all the things that didn’t get created or failed!

This was worrying.  I did notice the first block were all referencing Post Kinds.  Now, this is an IndieWeb plugin that worked well, but I hadn’t reinstalled it. That must be the problem. So I went, installed the plugin and ran the importer again.

This time I no Post Kinds errors, but still a huge page (over 6000 lines) with a lot of 'Failed to import media', 'Post “blah blah” already exists', and...

“Warning: mysqli_real_escape_string() expects parameter 2 to be string, object given in /blah/blah/blah/blah/blah/blah/davidjohnmead.com/html/blog/wp-includes/wp-db.php on line 1102”

Now posts already existing does make sense as this was the second time I’d tried this. The bigger issue was when I went to look at the blog there were no posts after September 2016! Over two years of photos, checkins, and writing gone.

Opening the file on my local machine, and checking the file size, I noticed that it was way smaller than zipped versions of previous exports. Hitting the end of the XML I saw this at line 475098…

<b>Fatal error</b>:  Out of memory (allocated 242221056) (tried to allocate 130968 bytes) in <b>/nfs/c03/h05/mnt/56448/domains/davidjohnmead.com/html/blog/wp-includes/taxonomy.php</b> on line <b>1398</b><br />

OMG! When WP ran and built the export it failed and I never saw any notification of that.

So not only am I missing the last two years, none of the 4.5k entries that are there have media that were part of the posts.

The SQL Export

Time for ‘Plan B’ - The diligent exports from mySQL I make every so often.

After asking someone who knows (Thanks GWG), I logged into myPHPAdmin and started to import the .sql file into the new WP created database.

And waited.

And waited.

And it failed. Too big. This is a nearly 60Mb file, but the upload cap it set to 10Mb.

Now comes the searching for help documentation, the cries for help on IRC, and me gingerly typing things into Terminal that I don’t understand in the hopes I can move 60Mb of SQL to the right database using SSH.

Not my fun idea of a weekend, but looking the bright side I’ve already got 4 spam comments on the WP blog less than a day of putting it back up.

Issues

  • importing WP content into Known still doesn’t work
  • posting from Teacup still doesn’t work
  • checkins from OwnYourSwarm still need to be resent from within the tool don't appear on blog
  • Importing WP content into WP didn’t fully work
  • SQL file to big to import through web