So after part 1, we head into day two of setting up the new blog. I currently have:
- A new Known blog at my domain root with the last 10 Instagram posts pulled in via OwnYourGram
- No old WP blog
- No old blog content
- No way to syndicate to Twitter
- No way to pull in comments from Instagram
I had logged into GitHub and filed a couple of issues about plugins and import not working.
Chatting on the IndieWeb IRC channels (a great resource btw) it became apparent that the build on the WithKnown website is out-of-date. Marcus Povey, one of the project contributors, hosts up-to-date builds if you're not familiar with using GitHub.
Also chatted about the Brid.gy profile issue. Thinking was using the new build would clear it up. Barring that, use the profile URL for both OwnYourGram & Brid.gy
Armed with this we try again.
- download build 0.9.9-a from Marcus
- deleted everything except .htaccess, config.ini, and the Uploads folder using Coda
- unzipped and moved everything from mapkyca-known-0.9.9-a-2018112001 over to root, except the Uploads folder
- visited site and all the content seems to still be there from yesterday
- the IndiePub tab is a nice addition to see what you’ve connected - revoked all so I can revalidate with new build
- activated twitter+bridgy on the Interactions tab, though I don't remember seeing anything that said it worked
- signed in and authorized:
- Brid.gy for Instagram (no longer asks for profile page)
- Brid.gy for Twitter
- added Twitter plugin (which now worked) - I had an existing app with Twitter from last time I used Known (2015), so edited that and connected
- created a post on the blog, syndicated to Twitter - Showed up on Twitter, and a "like" from Twitter showed up on my site
- created post in Quill and it showed up on blog
- added feeds to Aperture - showed up in Together (feedreader), liked a post and it showed up as an entry on my blog and Twitter
- created a post on Teacup still did not appear on blog
- added Listen plugin
- added Short Profile plugin - works, but most icons don’t now show up in 0.9.9-a where they did in the out-of-date build
- added KnownEmoji plugin
- added FooterJS plugin - This is no longer in main build, but does let you insert code into the header & footer of pages, fixing my Aperture link issue
- tried importing the WP .XML export with the new build
- importing WP content still doesn’t work
- posting from Teacup still doesn’t work
- checkins from OwnYourSwarm still need to be resent from within the tool
So we’re cutting down on the immediate issues, but still big hurdles.
Consensus is the WP importer still doesn’t work, so I’m going to add my WP blog back on /blog, using the exported .XML to return all my content. That way I’ll have it there at least, links won’t remain broken, and everything new will be on the Known blog going forward.
Day three, here we come.