Skip to main content

David Mead

Updating Known to Version: 0.12.2

2 min read

With the IndieWeb Summit going on, I thought it a good time to update this blog to the latest version.

Steps

  • backed up the MySQL database for the site
  • copied the site, via FTP, to my local machine
  • downloaded latest zipped file from https://withknown.marcus-povey.co.uk/
  • unzipped and FTP’d new files over to server, apart from the Uploads and Configuration folders
  • refreshed in browser and voila! content is still there
  • revoked all IndiePub account access (not needed but wanted a fresh start on this build) and logged back in to:
  • added back in Food and Listen plugins from my local backup

Going forward

So far so good. OwnYourGram still doesn't want to work with my server for some reason. Nothing is being pulled in to Together so maybe that needs a little time.

The most notable changes are tidying up of the settings and configuration sections which looks great. There's also a new (updated?) editor which is cleaner and works well.

My existing Twitter plugin broke the site, so I pulled down a new version from GitHub.

 

David Mead

Well. If CSS/JS are not present, the browser cannot display anything but a huge run-on blob of content in your one neutral tag @serapath. Using the "custom tags" the content still retains structure and meaning for whomever/whatever is consuming it. That's why all browsers agree upon those standards.

David Mead

That's an interesting POV @serapath. I'm assuming all the "structure" for that neutral tag would come through CSS classes or some kind of definition within JS?

You see where I could go with this, right?

If CSS/JS are not present, the browser cannot display anything but a huge run-on blob of content. No good for man nor machine.


David Mead

Reading option in Chrome thanks to @techwareguide

1 min read

Thanks to @techwareguide's article I found the Distill extension for Chrome. Finally a replacement for @evernote's dearly missed Clearly.

Chrome on my phone does offer a 'simplified view' for certain pages, but I couldn't find a way to turn on that for desktop.

 

 

 

David Mead

Setting up a blog, using Known, part 3

4 min read

Time to get a WordPress instance back up and running. Piece of cake as I backed up and exported everything, right? That way links don’t stay broken and I can just start using the Known blog (on the root) going forward.

Day Three

Even though I had removed everything of my existing WP install by FTPing into the server, using Coda, I went in through the Media Temple control panel and removed the WP install there too.

While in the 1-click-apps screen I then added a new version of Wordpress in /blog.

That set up just fine. In my browser I went to http://davidjohnmead.com/blog - Lo and behold a brand new WP site. Created a user and went about importing the WP created .XML export file…and waited.

The WordPress Export

I’ve been blogging for a while now, and have imported various other blogs into this one; Blogger, Tumblr, Known, and older WP blogs since 2005. When it finished I was presented by a HUGE page informing me of all the things that didn’t get created or failed!

This was worrying.  I did notice the first block were all referencing Post Kinds.  Now, this is an IndieWeb plugin that worked well, but I hadn’t reinstalled it. That must be the problem. So I went, installed the plugin and ran the importer again.

This time I no Post Kinds errors, but still a huge page (over 6000 lines) with a lot of 'Failed to import media', 'Post “blah blah” already exists', and...

“Warning: mysqli_real_escape_string() expects parameter 2 to be string, object given in /blah/blah/blah/blah/blah/blah/davidjohnmead.com/html/blog/wp-includes/wp-db.php on line 1102”

Now posts already existing does make sense as this was the second time I’d tried this. The bigger issue was when I went to look at the blog there were no posts after September 2016! Over two years of photos, checkins, and writing gone.

Opening the file on my local machine, and checking the file size, I noticed that it was way smaller than zipped versions of previous exports. Hitting the end of the XML I saw this at line 475098…

<b>Fatal error</b>:  Out of memory (allocated 242221056) (tried to allocate 130968 bytes) in <b>/nfs/c03/h05/mnt/56448/domains/davidjohnmead.com/html/blog/wp-includes/taxonomy.php</b> on line <b>1398</b><br />

OMG! When WP ran and built the export it failed and I never saw any notification of that.

So not only am I missing the last two years, none of the 4.5k entries that are there have media that were part of the posts.

The SQL Export

Time for ‘Plan B’ - The diligent exports from mySQL I make every so often.

After asking someone who knows (Thanks GWG), I logged into myPHPAdmin and started to import the .sql file into the new WP created database.

And waited.

And waited.

And it failed. Too big. This is a nearly 60Mb file, but the upload cap it set to 10Mb.

Now comes the searching for help documentation, the cries for help on IRC, and me gingerly typing things into Terminal that I don’t understand in the hopes I can move 60Mb of SQL to the right database using SSH.

Not my fun idea of a weekend, but looking the bright side I’ve already got 4 spam comments on the WP blog less than a day of putting it back up.

Issues

  • importing WP content into Known still doesn’t work
  • posting from Teacup still doesn’t work
  • checkins from OwnYourSwarm still need to be resent from within the tool don't appear on blog
  • Importing WP content into WP didn’t fully work
  • SQL file to big to import through web