I've posted the sausage gravy recipe I follow here before. This was only the second time I've made the biscuits from scratch though. For something so "simple" it can still be quite stress inducing.
I followed the directions from Sugar Spun Run's video. Her instructions were clear and concise. Good tip was putting the butter in the freezer for 10-20 minutes, then grating it.
I don't bother with pressing out rounds. Just use a knife to divide the dough into 6 squares.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (very cold)
- ¾ cup of milk
- Pre-heat oven to 425°F
- Mix flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a bowl
- Grate in cold butter, mix with a fork until it looks like a course crumble
- Stir in milk, with spoon, until dough gets "shaggy"
- Flour a surface (and your hands) and turn out the dough
- Fold, turn 90°, fold again. Repeat this about 6 times using only your hands
- Form into a rectangle (about 1" thick) and cut / press out biscuits
- Cook for about 15 minutes