I wanted to change up how a plugin worked on my blog. Namely the Listen one.
Looking at it after install if allowed me to capture someting I had listened too. I could link to somewhere that'd let others here it, and put in "cover art" and some notes. All fantastic.
Couple of things I wanted to change:
- artist closer to the title, and not after my notes
- icon indicating song, podcast, etc.
- definition between my notes and what I had listened to
So I "forked the repo" and basically spent today pulling apart and putting back togther PHP code that I had no idea did what.
I found that the 'listen types' weren't being pulled through to assign an icon to, so I commented out a large section and replaced it with a simple
<select> element. This seems to have worked, though I don't know (yet) how to retain what I selected if I edit the post.
I've now got it looking a lot more how I wanted and it sees the listen type and shows the matching icon.
Also did some more changes while I was feeling brave:
- I added a lot more types including soundtrack and audio book
- Changed the titles to past tense
- Updated the edit page by matching labels to fields, wrapping fields in <p>, and changed some of the language used there too
I've posted on the #indieweb IRC that I've made the changes, so I'll see if, and how, anyone wants to merge these into the plugin.