Differences in #indieweb readers using microformats or RSS as your feed source
I’m currently using a beta of Aperture as my microsub endpoint and it’s working very well. I can point two Indieweb readers, Together (web) and Indigenous (Android), at it and see posts. This also gives me the power to like, reply, and re-post any of those too – Syndicating them to my blog and to Twitter if I want.
One thing I did notice was how those articles were appearing, depending on if I used the microformats or RSS feed. Here’s what a single post (syndicated Instagram photo) looked like using RSS, and then microformats.
For the microformats feed the image, date posted, and who posted it are all missing.
I first noticed this from Jeremy Keith‘s feed who had photos being pulled through but not the details of the author. This got a little confusing as I was scrolling through the feeds and not seeing who some posts were coming from.
I’m assuming this comes about as we all mark-up our content in different ways. Especially if we use services to syndicate from Twitter and Instagram.
I’ll have to start looking at the consistency of my own mark-up, but in the mean time I’m going to switch to RSS for everything in Aperture.Syndicated to: